19 March 2006 ~ 11 Comments

Episode 1

Recorded live, from my bathroom in beautiful Somerville, MA.

This episode is my first attempt at putting down the tracks on my podcasting career. I discuss why I am podcasting, my current projects, and the purple mokey on my back. If you would like to know more about my friend Gary and what his wife is going through please visit her Caringbridge web site.

MENTIONED IN THIS SHOW

PODCAST:
Cast-On with Brenda Dayne

STORE:
Mind’s Eye Yarn (Porter Square in Cambridge, MA)
Circles Knitting Salon (Jaimaca Plain in Boston, MA)

BOOKS & PATTERNS:
‘Tucker the monkey’ from ‘toys to knit‘ by Tracy Chapman
Jenna Wilson’s ‘Big Sack Sweater’ from ‘Stitch’n Bitch‘ by Debbie Stoller
Nosewarmer, 2nd generation‘ by Amy R. Singer from Knitty.com

MUSIC:
‘Spy Beach’ by This Spy Surfs
‘Juiceshack’ by CCA
‘There’s So Many Ways I Can Kill You’ by Madsumo

EPISODE1

11 Responses to “Episode 1”

1. Carreen 25 March 2006 at 12:22 pm Permalink

Great job! Like someone else said, even though I’m not a guy I still like your podcast. It sounds like you’re off to a good start and I hope you’ll be posting a second episode. I’ll try to link some of my knitting buddies too, I think they’ll give it a listen. Oh, and by the way, I’m knitting the same sweater, the one from Stitch ‘N Bitch. Unfortunately it hasn’t been a big success. I began it under the influence of a Connecticut winter when we were temporarily without any heating and I decided to knit the thing in bulky Lamb’s Pride yarn. It’s like… Well, it’s like a carpet as I think you said about your stuffed animal project. Now that it’s warmer inside and I’m back in my right mind I realize that, although it’ll be warm as hell, it isn’t going to drape at all, in fact, I’m going to look like a giant blue marshmallow when I put it on. In light of this discouraging fact I haven’t picked it up for a month. Hopefully once I finish some of the other things I’m working on right now I’ll be able to go back to it. It sounds like your sweater’s going way better than mine and I hope it continues to work out. Sorry for writing such a long reply and, again, thanks for a good show!

2. Marianne 25 March 2006 at 8:39 pm Permalink

I would like to give you a hearty welcome to podcasting. I really enjoyed your podcast and am looking forward to more from you. I was touched by your story about the purple monkey. and, OK, I’m wondering if your fiancee (pumpkin) shares your obsession with knitting? Is she still knitting too? About the sock…I am a seasoned sock knitter and I often have to frog a sock a couple of times before I get into a rhythm and can get it going, so don’t despair. It doesn’t only happen to you. Don’t give up. You can do it!! If I can, anyone can.

3. Elemmaciltur 25 March 2006 at 10:06 pm Permalink

*applauds* Yay! Finally a knitting podcast from a male perspective. Frankly, I haven’t listened yet, but have downloaded. ;) I actually wanted to do one, but didn’t get around to it, mainly because I don’t have a proper microphone and secondly, I think my voice just sounds like crap in RL. *LOL* Will get back to you again when I’ve listened!

4. Anne 26 March 2006 at 11:49 am Permalink

Great Job!!!

5. Anne 26 March 2006 at 4:07 pm Permalink

Great podcasts, Oh my Gosh, your music is vibrant……good on you.
    Hope you get the monkey finished. I like the male perspective….my 10 yr old son is learning to knit and frankly he could do with some role models…he shyly asked, hm Mom, is knitting cool for guys. I confidently said yes…well confidently…..now at least I can let him listen to your podcast and the last song might spur him on….to knit….and not kill someone with the pointy sticks.
    Great job, thanks

6. Julia 27 March 2006 at 5:25 am Permalink

A knitter AND a geographer, can’t beat that:-)
    Love your podcast and you ummm… sound really cute*LOL*
    But the best part about the show is that it proves that a real guy can knit and do a podcast about it without sounding preachy or freakish.

Oh, and do check out the knitting bag I sewed last week- all without the floral prints, but with a skull w/knitting needles instead of crossbones. It’d be a little small and too purse-y for you to wear, tho;-)

7. Julia 27 March 2006 at 5:31 am Permalink

…and hopefully without sounding too wise-ass: you’re aware that it’s skEIns, and not skiens, are you?

8. Elemmaciltur 27 March 2006 at 11:31 pm Permalink

Hahaha, that was fun listening to you trying to figure out how to play Brenda’s promo. *LOL* I betcha that I’d be able to make an even worse job than you did. That’s partly why I’m not doing any podcasting (re: your email & comment on my blog)…coz I’d make a total fool out of myself. I don’t even think that I’m creative enough to talk about a specific topic. Whilst the vid-cast just can let me talk about this and that….sorry it’s shakey, but I can’t do anything about that. The Nokia 6630 does that. I just don’t have the budget to invest in a proper camera, besides I consider the photos and vids taken by my 6630 an art form. ;)

And my! You have a nice voice!

@Julia, geez, don’t be so fussy! *LOL* Make an audio-feedback and send it to him with the correct pronunciation then! *haha* (Guido, don’t worry, I know Julia – well, not personally, but still *winks*)

9. Gracelyn 22 June 2011 at 10:57 am Permalink

This makes everything so completely pialnses.

10. dgriivpdh 25 June 2011 at 4:45 am Permalink

UGeVI1 vzfjnodvzxsn

11. Christina 15 June 2012 at 11:20 am Permalink

I just discovered this podcast by accident. The podcast episodes are wonderfully cool and I feel more motivated me to keep up with my own knitting projects. I’m not a dude, but think it’s awesome that you are. I’m so glad Americans aren’t sticking with traditional craft/hobby sterotypes. Too bad you live in MA and I’m in IL. I think we could have gotten along. Have a great life knitting.