26 March 2006 ~ 27 Comments

Episode 2

This weeks episode is so much newer than last weeks. I have fans now, and they will be so disapointed when they realize that this show is full of me trying to use my fame to get the Yarn Harlot come to speak at Porter Square books. This disapointment will only be componded when they find out that I didn’t do the research to find out that she has spoken in Boston, in Circles, one of my favorite yarn stores no less.

For shame.

Oh well. It’s still a podcast about a guy for guy’s and gal’s. That has not changed.

BLOGS:
Grumperina by Kathy
The Panopticon by Franklin Habit
The Yarn Harlot
by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

GROUP THERAPY(KNITTING):
Circles Sundays starting at 10:00am in Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA
Mind’s Eye Group on Wednesday from 7:00pm to 9:00pm, Porter Square, Cambridge, MA
Need to check about the two other groups, don’t know if they want the attention??

MUSIC:
Pocketbook by Derek K. Miller
Sputnik in live by Roy Chicky Arad
Stitch Together by Adam Boucher
The Misfit by Airbomb

OTHER:
This American Life with Ira Glass
The Dork or Adam Brodsky, you decide

PODCAST:
Cast-On with Brenda Dayne
Pointy Stick with Christine Selleck

STORE:
BagSmith (Shaker Heights, OH)
Circles Knitting Salon (Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA)
Farm House Yarns (Somewhere,CT)
Knit Foundry (Somewhere, CO)
Minds Eye Yarns (Porter Square, Cambridge, MA)
Porter Square Books (Porter Square, Cambridge, MA)

EPISODE2

errata

While most things I say are confusing, I would like to point out one thing that confused me while listening to the podcast.

1. Doria the story teller, is part of the mind’s eye yarn group. They have a lot of love.

Circles is also a loving group, but Doria is not a part of this group. But the Circles groups has offered to contribute some knitting stories. I will be recording them next week. ;)

Sorry for the mix-up. I think it was the fumes in my studio/Bathroom.

27 Responses to “Episode 2”

1. Emily 26 March 2006 at 12:55 pm Permalink

I’d just like to say that I WAS waiting for this to show up in iTunes this morning when I got up (kind of).

but I’m not disappointed with your severe lack of show notes. you’ve got a good show and you can only make it better.

2. Jeanne 26 March 2006 at 4:08 pm Permalink

Great show; I heard your promo on Cast-on and downloaded this today. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to hearing more. Lucky you to have Grumperina in your knitting group! Good luck getting your purple monkey off your back.

3. punkin 27 March 2006 at 10:36 am Permalink

i just want to say how extremelly happy i am for you and your new found fame.
    love you!!

4. Anne 27 March 2006 at 11:51 am Permalink

Well done on another great podcast. I like your enthousiasm, a new mike…shame about losing knitting time but hey……you are making my knitting very enjoyable

5. Genny 27 March 2006 at 7:54 pm Permalink

Hey there from NZ.

I’ve listened to both episodes – referred from Cast On – and there are so many things about your podcast I’ve enjoyed.
    Keep it up!

6. Aileen 27 March 2006 at 10:03 pm Permalink

Hey Guido!
    Hello from the North Shore! I was so excited to hear that you are from the Boston area. New England needed to be represented. I heard about your podcast through Franklin’s guest appearance on Cast On and immediatly subscribed through itunes. I really enjoy your new spin on the knitting podcast idea. Despite being a knitting podcast by a guy, I also feel like your podcast is much more appealing to a younger hip audience. I really enjoy the music you put in your podcast. I’ve been thinking about coming down to your knitting group in Cambridge one night, atleast to try it out. I’ve wanted to go to a knitting group but its so hard to find time when I’m taking a full load of classes at school and don’t have easy access to a car. Wow, this is a long comment. Anyway, keep up the good work!

7. Christine 27 March 2006 at 11:58 pm Permalink

Yeah! A man podcasting about knitting! I’m *so* excited! I’m wrapping up the next episode of PointySticks – I’m glad I found your site before I finished it so I can add it to my list of things to talk about. I’ll be playing the promo too! (Now if only my website will behave. Hopefully PointySticks.org will be back up in the morning.)

Welcome to the podcasting world! Let me know if you ever have any questions or if you just want to chat!

8. Debra 28 March 2006 at 11:33 am Permalink

I enoyed both podcasts and look forward to more. Love the “The American Life” chapter format with fun titles and thematic material. I really enjoy hearing knitters’ own stories; there is always something universal wrapped up in the personal, so please continue to share your stories with us!

9. Lara Neel 28 March 2006 at 11:45 am Permalink

Has an extremely manly tool review for taming circular needles — fishing tackle binder.

10. Rhonda 28 March 2006 at 2:50 pm Permalink

So glad a guy has joined the Knitting Podcast Revolution! Welcome to the family. I enjoyed your show and look forward to hearing more from you.

Rhonda
    Knitting News Cast

11. Lara 28 March 2006 at 3:50 pm Permalink

Well done ! Though still very new, I can tell that yours is going to be a podcast I eagerly download. It’s great to hear from someone who isn’t whiney :) I’m going to be recommending your podcast to my husband, also a knitter guy.

Keep it up !

12. Erika 28 March 2006 at 3:56 pm Permalink

Yay! I LOVED your podcast! I heard about it from Franklin on Cast On and downloaded it today during my lunch break. You are hilarious *hugs you* Fabulous job. I was knitting away while you chatted about your knitting or recent lack of knitting and it got me thinking..I was laughing, because I just thought you were wonderful and funny, and then I was looking at my most recent “KittyBee” (a half cat, half bee creation that looks as though it is suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome – but it is seriously adorable – I swear), which I make frequently and I thought I can send him a KittyBee! That is, if you make me laugh as hard as you did this week during your next podcast. Now, I am not going to force said KittyBee on you, I will not kidnap you and shove it down your throat but if you want one, I want you to have one! That is how much I enjoyed your show!

Also – they have some slightly manlier knitting bags and cases for needles at http://www.kpixie.com – under accessories in Lexie Barnes Bags.

13. Irie 28 March 2006 at 5:38 pm Permalink

Hi Guido, great podcast! I don’t like floral patterns either, and I’M A GIRL. One for the records, I guess.

These fishing tackle binders make great knitting needle holders, and if you ever give up knitting, well, you can use it for fishing tackle. :)

I too have a podcast, first episode will be out this week! Yay!

14. Betsy 28 March 2006 at 9:08 pm Permalink

Michelle is our resident tool whiz, and she turned me on to the idea of using a 3 ring binder with zippered pencil cases for circulars. I’m sure you could get one in very manly backpack material…I’ve also heard of people using CD cases.

15. Elemmaciltur 28 March 2006 at 9:55 pm Permalink

LUV this episode….maybe soon you’ll become the counterpart of Brenda Dayne in the knitting podcasts world!

I really love you show, especially because of the fact that you don’t try to make knitting sound macho or whatever, but just nice and easy from another perspective…and the fact that you’re straight just makes it more interesting. Hahaha, maybe you should try interviewing Christine’s (aka Pointy Sticks) hubby who had recently took up knitting.

Anyhow, keep up the great work!

16. Maura 28 March 2006 at 11:04 pm Permalink

Just listened to your ‘cast for the first time, and you had me smiling the whole time! I’m also a new podcaster, so I totally relate to the way podcasting has eaten up your knitting time LOL! I’m also about to drop the cash to upgrade my setup as well. One thing I never expected though, was how much podcasting took away my time to actually listen to other podcasts!

Happy Knitting!

Maura of KnitTunes

17. Marissa Medina 30 March 2006 at 4:56 am Permalink

Your podcast is so fun! I was laughing out loud at the music selections which are different from what you hear on other podcasts. Very entertaining as I knit along at 3 am. I’m awaiting future listening sessions and are you really going to have guest speakers…in your bathroom?! :)

18. Beverly 31 March 2006 at 12:51 am Permalink

Loved your podcast–great music. Tom Bihn has promised a knitting insert for regular bags (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0650), but I haven’t seen one in person.

CD cases (like Old Navy often has) are great for circs.

19. Lee 1 April 2006 at 4:37 pm Permalink

You were looking for a great needle bag? I have the one for you….check out Offhand Designs at http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com. This is NOT a paid political announcement! I have had my Offhand Designs bags for over a year, and they look as good as the day I bought them. No wear and tear, nothing….they wear like iron and I am extremely hard on them. They do have bags for your circulars like you were talking about, minus the velcro. The magnetic closures are super sturdy, plus they have a lot of manly designs! No flowers here !

20. eliza 1 April 2006 at 4:44 pm Permalink

I love your podcast. I’m also addicted to tools — just bought these, in fact:

Mrrowr.

21. Judy 1 April 2006 at 7:21 pm Permalink

Excellent podcast! I do enjoy your take on knitting. As far as the “perftect” knitting bag, I too, hate floral prints. I found the perfect bag at Michaels, of all places. Here’s the link to the site:
    I actually bought the “general tote” … not the one specifically for knitters, mainly because I use circular needles rather than straight sticks. And, it’s in orange back pack material…not a floral print there.

22. JoAnne 2 April 2006 at 6:57 pm Permalink

I’ve found this (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=0&skusetId=71 ) to be very KNIfTy. My friend just got me a gift card for me to MAKE my own bag. I like messanger bags for my knitting because if I’m just walking around and I have an easy enough project to work on it would be easy for me to knit and walk with the messanger just hanging there. AND you can design it the way you want…how cool is that?!?!?!

Anyway, your show ROCKS!!!! I love it. Keep it up.

23. Laura 7 April 2006 at 1:07 pm Permalink

Love your show. It’s great to hear from a regular guy about knitting. One beef – I see on your site that you say it’s for guys and gals, but episode 2 was introduced as a show about a guy knitting for guys. Well, it’s manly, yes, but I like it too…

24. sarah jane horton 16 April 2006 at 8:06 pm Permalink

did you see this? It is about using tackle storage bags to keep circular needles. Since you are into gear and into fishing I thought you’d enjoy checking it out.

I am a transplanted cantabridgean who took too many wrong turns and ended up in brooklyn, NY. I’m not going to get started with why cambridge is so much better than just about anywhere else in the world but I like this bag and this company and I thought it would make a very guy friendly knitting bag. they have lots of messenger bag styles but I tried using messenger bags for knitting (in particular my nice black bob dylan one) but they just don’t work for knitting because of the flap top. The one pictured in the link has a zip top and is nice and deep – perfect for carrying around big projects and unzipping on the subway for easy access. They come in cool colors too (mine is in a cool green).

my other favorite knitting gear is ziploc bags. they come in many sizes (at target you can get the JUMBO size, perfect for large sweater projects) and you can throw them any bag you want and they keep your yarn nice and clean. they are also cheap, which is nice.

I am really enjoying your podcast and I don’t think you need to apologize ever for not pronouncing things right or not knowing something or for your gender or sexual orientation or anything. I am interested in what you have to say about knitting and about life and think you are smart and funny and cool.

I am also so happy to listen to a podcast from someone from my hometown. I’m really homesick for the boston area. I’m coming back for my 25th highschool reunion in May! can’t wait. I used to have my birthday dinners at Dali every year – you know that restaurant?

I’m listening to episode 3 right now and am loving it-

keep up the good work!

sadie (from cambridge) in brooklyn

25. Szarka 2 May 2006 at 4:56 pm Permalink

I’m a tool hound, too, being in construction. Should you ever want a more manly Chibi – well, I stole my husband’s GI ‘waterproof match case’ to keep my darning needles in. It’s heavy duty plastic, military olive green…and if you ever get in a really tight pinch, and MacGyver isn’t on your block, the lid will hold a wooden match upright so it’ll burn all the way down without singeing your darling fingers. I’m sure you could find one at an Army Navy Surplus place for pence.

Oh, here’s a picture.
    Scroll down to what looks like a film canister. (Those make good needle cases, too, but I bet they’re harder to find. So do old med bottles.)

26. chicky 9 July 2006 at 1:58 pm Permalink

Thanks for listening to my music

27. Orlando 12 December 2010 at 8:44 pm Permalink

A lot of times I dont speak on post but just want to say I belive 100% on what your speaking!