03 May 2006 ~ 11 Comments

I am now dreaming in alpacavision

It feels so weird, but this morning right before waking up I had a dream about fiber. The obsession is creeping deeper and deeper into my subconscious.In my dream I was visiting a comic book store in Portsmouth New Hampshire. I was looking for some rare something or other. I finally decide to leave and for some reason I realize that I am supposed to meet Caroline from the fibercast and talk some more about alpacas. And there, walking down the street is Caroline with two wee alpacas. One is small enought to to carry around in a tote bag and one is small enough to hold in your hands. (I know that this is way to small, but it was a dream. I think they looked more like llamas, I don’t think I really know what an alpaca looks like in person)

So Caroline comes over to me carrying her little ones in a tote bag, the large one in the main fold and the smaller one in a pocket of the bag. Apparently there is now a crowd forming around us. She starts off by letting me pet her larger alpaca. After laying my hands on it’s soft fuzzy fleece I start to feel that the fur is shedding. When I finally remove my hands from the alpaca I realize that I now have a wonderful little ball of roving, all perfectly carded and everything (WOW!!).

Caroline tells me that I should take as much as I need and that these balls of roving are perfect for new spinners. (Yippie, Caroline is the best both in real life and in dream time) Then she hand me the little hand held alpaca. This does not go as well for me. It poops in my hands, and for some reason I had to ask Caroline if she needed to measure the poop. I never knew how anal retentive I could get. Oh well…

Somewhere around me washing my hands, I woke up… I had the sudden desire to spend some time with my stash looking for something soft.

Aright, that is all for now. Please leave all your interpretation of my dreams in comment form. I can’t wait for someone to help give me some meaning about all this.

11 Responses to “I am now dreaming in alpacavision”

1. Karen 3 May 2006 at 2:35 pm Permalink

I often have funky dreams about everyone I know having babies all at the same time and they all want different projects and I’m flat broke and have lost all of my needles and all that is in my stash is steel wool yarn. Usually on the nights that I have sugar too close to bedtime. You’re perfectly normal, for a knitter. :)

2. Laura 3 May 2006 at 3:43 pm Permalink

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had a fiber dream, but I really liked yours. I imagine some tiny alpacas with rhinestone collars being taken to the mall!

3. pumpkin 4 May 2006 at 1:53 pm Permalink

as a mental health professional, i think this dream means you are crazy..
    love you

4. diana 4 May 2006 at 2:16 pm Permalink

Too funny! I also have fiber dreams!

5. RC 4 May 2006 at 6:50 pm Permalink

It’s quite obvious what the dream is saying to you.

You must buy an alpaca farm and raise alpacas for wool!

Or maybe you’re just crazy.

6. Mikki 4 May 2006 at 9:57 pm Permalink

Measuring poop, hunh? Have you considered nursing? Pays for the wool fetish (and alpaca, and silk, and….)

7. Denise 5 May 2006 at 8:18 am Permalink

You realise you are doomed.. you are no longer a man with yarn issues.. you are a man with fibre issues.. I am lucky.. I am surrounded by Alpaca farms.. there are two right around the corner from my house, and I pass anywhere from 3-5 on the way to church (depending on what route I take!)

It sure would be cool to have mini alpacas.. but you’d have to have too many to make it a feasable fibre source!

8. Katrina 6 May 2006 at 2:00 am Permalink

Hi Guido–
    I’m writing from Portland, Oregon. I was in Watertown, Mass. a couple years ago–I visited Crystal Blue Beading Company on Mt. Auburn Street and had the best clam chowder at a little place next door. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that yours is by far my favorite knitting podcast. Very entertaining. Keep up the good work! Well done.

9. Jay 6 May 2006 at 3:02 am Permalink

It is not the alpacas, the venue, the carded fleece, the tote, your friend or the softness that matters… it is the poop! Poop in dreams is highly underrated and, to my mind, signifies much. For instance, the colour is emotive of the mood of the dreamer, while the perceived repulsiveness (or lack thereof) refers to the dreamers feelings for the animal/person/being from which the poop has been extricated. Size/width and length are also important, referring to the dreamers obsessiveness.
    In this case, with the limited facts I have to go on, I would say you are obsessed with alpaca yarn and can’t get enough alpaca (or else you just like poop!).

10. CleverNameToComeAKAsuebue 1 June 2006 at 11:56 pm Permalink

Hi,
    This week at Minds Eye Yarns during BIG SALE WEEK, I was told, the Monday knitting group at Somerville Library is having a party. I’ve never been over to meet those folks but plan to crash the bash with a stash of home made cookies.
    Come crash with me. I’ll be the one with massive blond curly hair, handing you a cookie.
    SueBue.

West Branch/Somerville Public Library Knitting Group 40 College Ave., Davis Square, Somerville. 6:30-8:30 p.m.

11. Barbara 19 April 2007 at 1:45 am Permalink

Interesting theme have mentioned. With pleasure I shall support.
    And in general, good blog