23 February 2010 ~ 14 Comments

Funk

Last week I started to listen to the podcast from the beginning. You can really hear the excitement and momentum of my knitting life in those shows. I am so excited to reach out to the community and so thrilled to find an audience of people who share my love of fiber.

Sadly, I don’t quite feel that way now. While I am still a lover of fiber and community, I have to admit something. I think that I have fallen into a bit of a funk.

It’s not that I don’t want to knit, crochet, produce podcasts, build community, and dream up new fun things to do. It’s that I can’t find the spark right now.

The spark to finish a project… The spark to create something new… The spark to know what to do with my stash… The spark to know what I want next…

So here I am getting ready to start another series of the podcast, start another season of knitting, start a new series of podcasts and I find myself in a bit of a funk.

Perhaps I just a need to re-engage myself into projects and community, perhaps I just need to find an inspiring knitting project. What ever it is, I think that this may be a good thing to explore and think about as I start the new season of It’s a Purl Man.

I know I am not alone, I know we can all find our freak if we try… so let’s keep our eyes and hearts open to the new possibilities.

So, what’s your spark?

14 Responses to “Funk”

1. Jen 23 February 2010 at 7:58 pm Permalink

You know what? For me, it just works if I pick up and start. I may not want to knit or sew at all, but before long, it’s making me feel better and I’m all motivated again. It sounds kind of stupid and/or trite, but really, just starting to do makes the rest of doing easier. Good luck on your defunkification! I am rooting for you!!

2. fuzzyjay 23 February 2010 at 9:28 pm Permalink

Like Jen said. “Move a muscle, change a thought.”

3. Aaron 23 February 2010 at 10:24 pm Permalink

For me it’s trying something new and exciting that gets me revved up. Funky yarn also helps.

Guido, it sounds like you need something really funky. There are so many boring everyday ordinary things in Boston that need to be “tagged”. Ghetto knitting may just be your liberator.

4. Jadielady 23 February 2010 at 10:52 pm Permalink

I’ve been in a bit of a funk too :( I was all excited to try to design a pattern for the Ravelympics. But it failed, and then I tried to do a WIP which would have been an impressive feat, but then my hands betrayed me and half my fingers on one hand went numb.
    So I’ve said to heck with it, and been playing plants vs zombies :)
    once my fingers feel again, I’ll pick up a second sock, and see how I feel from there.

And of course, so that I’m fully prepared, I’ve continued to add to my stash.

5. Krista M 24 February 2010 at 9:25 am Permalink

I usually go to the archives of someone that knits and spins beautifully. I will look at Grumperina or Jared Flood’s work, and that will get my inspiration back up. I also let myself have some liberty with starting new projects…If setting aside that sweater I’ve been working on forever and starting a new pair of socks gets the ball rolling, then so be it! I will go back to the sweater once I get all my motivation back!

6. MavenKnits 24 February 2010 at 1:21 pm Permalink

Hey there,
    I get what it’s like… I have had a very slow start to the ‘New Year’ It’s certainly not that I’m knitting less! I have just lost the rhythm of recording my journey. It takes time and to produce quality material, it takes effort and continual improvement! I think I’ve moved into a space where I’m less enthusiastic and perhaps more authentic in my posts. I would rather have quality than quantity.

Don’t fake where you’re at, everyone likes to see discipline, and the ability to KEEP UP! but, we are all human. Maybe new possibility meand deeper, or different. I want to hear that you’re human.
    Take care,
    L.

7. marni 24 February 2010 at 1:40 pm Permalink

hi, guido!

it’s a god thing that you are honest and self aware enough to recognize what you are going through. just realize that you have a ton of support in the community (that you had a GIANT hand in building), and that everyone has down time. recharging your creative batteries is a necessary part of the process.
    just don’t give up on yourself. if you had never started, i never would have met you, and that would be sad!

~marni

8. Sara in WI 26 February 2010 at 1:14 pm Permalink

Hi, Guido! I, too, had taken a break but now I’m back and catching up on podcasts and trying to finish up projects. My thoughts on how to get your mojo back include the challenge of just choosing ONE of Susan’s toys to knit…You will be fascinated with the construction and not at all frustrated with the directions. Just pick one toy, go into your stash and cast on. You’ll be hooked…guaranteed! ‘Miss you!
    Sara

9. Maryann 28 February 2010 at 1:24 am Permalink

Hi Guido! I have an “opposite” suggestion. When I feel worn down, I make something really simple, like a basic wash cloth. Fast, but still useful. Or I make preemie caps for charity, often using up odds and ends of yarn for colorful combinations. Helps me realize anything I knit or crochet has value, even if it isn’t the fanciest design, technique, or yarn. Best of luck. Hope to hear you again soon!

10. Alanna 28 February 2010 at 10:11 pm Permalink

Dude,
    Take a break. You’ve been running wild, pulling on all ends, especially for the last three months. Winter is time to hibernate. Go ahead. You can do it. Sit still.
    Spring will come again.

11. Maven 1 March 2010 at 4:27 pm Permalink

Could be the weather talking too. Too much of a cold funk for all of us. You’ll find your inspiration and re-energize yourself when you least expect it!

12. Nina 13 March 2010 at 5:36 pm Permalink

I had a huge loss of knitting mojo and what got me back in the game was baby knitting. I had my first daughter in December and I love that I can knit a very complex garment but it is still small. Some of the stuff I made for her didn’t fit her but I can just donate it to some needy baby. I also made several hats from Itty Bitty Hats, which oddly enough I discovered only because of your show where you interviewed Susan B. Anderson.

13. Nuurdygirl 2 April 2010 at 1:14 pm Permalink

So…..the spark comes and goes, right? I have had LONG periods of spark-less-ness, and other periods of crazy inspiration.

I think what works for ME is to say “it’s ok to have a slump. You are going to get out of it when the time is right.”

Sometimes I get working on a little thing that someone has requested or commissioned….and then it gets me going. Sometimes I take a detour and try a new craft and that gets my spirit humming. Sometimes I just work on a “fall back” project like a charity scarf….and let myself take a breather.

Don’t sweat the FUNK. Maybe this is the chance to look at something new….or maybe it’s just the vacation your inspiration needs to come back kicking A**!

14. IsabellaCole21 22 April 2010 at 11:31 pm Permalink

I will recommend not to hold off until you earn enough cash to order different goods! You can just take the loan or just short term loan and feel yourself free