12 March 2012 ~ 8 Comments

What happened?

Elvis has left the building

In some ways it seems that the question “Have I pod faded?” is an obvious thing. I mean, I have not put out a new show in a long time. But, it’s not that simple. I have been planning and recording things in the meantime, it’s just that for many reasons all this work has not seen the light of day. So, while others are clear about my pod fading status, I am unsure and unwilling to say that my knitting podcast is dead.

In the past year or two I have ramped up to start a regular show cycle over and over again. I have recorded interviews, even put together episodes, but have not been able to post. The process of creating this show, which I am still passionate about, has become a fight with the undead for me. It’s not dead, really… it’s just resting on stitch markers and I have not figured out how to continue it.
So, let’s examine the time line.

Almost 4 years ago now I started slowing down with the show. In the period of the slow down I have gotten married, started a fiber guild, started a Maryland Sheep and Wool after party, started a geo community in boston, learned new tech geekyness and… and… and… and… started to drift.

Also, it seems that without a financial motive, it is really hard to keep up with your art and passion. Trips to knitting events, sound equipment, yarn… yarn… is not cheep. And then there’s the other thing…. How do you monetize this whole thing so that you can afford to continue to do what you love and if you monetize what you love, will you still love it.

I had started going through the motions of starting a second podcast that would focus on interviews and be a little more professional than my current community podcast, but that ended up sapping a lot of my energy and creativity from my current podcast, which in the end had the effect of putting the breaks on both podcasts. Great…

Also a casualty in this process of pod fading has been my knitting mojo. I still love to meet with other knitters and to see what people are up to, but I have not been up to anything with my own knitting or other fiber craft in a while. I have not learned any new technique, I have not finished many projects, and the ones I have finished I am not thrilled about.

As I approach the 6th anniversary of the first show post, I wonder if this show is going to go from undead to fully dead or perhaps to pheonix.

So my podcast listeners and blog readers, I post this piece as a way to share with you my thoughts and feelings… much like the first episode. Instead of a friend that I cannot turn away, it is now a show that I do not want to turn away. This post is part of my attempt to get the momentum to continue to create content for the blog/podcast, so while this may seem like a downer… perhaps the way to think about this post… is to think of it as a small bright flower peeking up from a cold winter soil… the potential to fully bloom is there. So let’s all hope for good weather and the return of my podcasting/knitting mojo.

PHOTO CREDIT: Aine D’s Flikr Stream

8 Responses to “What happened?”

1. marni 12 March 2012 at 12:12 pm Permalink

well, hello to you! i was just refreshing my podcast feed and thinking of you. i hope you come up with a solution that makes you happy – producing free content shouldn’t stress you out! i’m glad all is well!

2. Lori 12 March 2012 at 5:19 pm Permalink

Guido, Heather of Podcasting for Machine Knitting ran into this issue last year http://www.mkworldlive.com/mkpod/fun-stuff-here-and-here/life/11-minutes-for-2011/ and issued a challenge to her readers and fans to try and kick start all our knitting mojo.

Podcasting became more frequent, and we had fun with it. You can read the premise at the link above and read the journey on both her blog and my own. It can get better, you will recover your mojo.

3. Maria 13 March 2012 at 8:02 am Permalink

Thanks for keeping us all up to date on what’s happening! I’ll be here waiting to hear more from you, in whichever form you choose to share it. Good luck!

4. Caro 14 March 2012 at 2:30 pm Permalink

Great to hear from you! I would love to hear the recordings that you have done, but it must be your desision. Maybe a blog with sound-bites as and when you have something more to add? I am not deleting the feed that brings me the good things you have to offer!
    Best wishes
    C

5. gale (she shoots sheep shots) 27 March 2012 at 7:26 am Permalink

Hi Guido! Happy to see this post–I was thinking about you the other day, looking through my podcast feeds. Maybe babysteps: single interview releases ? I wonder if doing that would also grease the return of the knit /spin mojo?
    About the monetizing a thing you love–I am not sure it’s a bad thing. It’s interesting to contemplate how you might do a passion project differently if money is involved and why, and how that all plays out.

6. Nina 9 April 2012 at 5:19 pm Permalink

I often see your podcast in my Itunes and refresh in the hopes there is a new episode. You are the one who introduced me to the world of Susan B. Anderson and for that I’m eternally grateful. I always loved your podcast and the way it was sort of familiar but gave a whole different perspective on the world of knitting. Even if you don’t get your podcasting mojo back, I hope you get your knitting mojo back. I lost mine when I got pregnant and it was a sad thing indeed. I still regret not having tons of pictures of my daughter as a baby showered in handknits.

7. Yarnitect (Dana) 22 July 2012 at 9:37 am Permalink

Just ran across your blog from the Scarf Book review blog hop. Was scanning some of your articles.

Sorry to hear about the mojo. I can relate. I was a rubber stamper (greeting card maker) for 25 years. Then lost my mojo. Thankfully my sister reignited my passion for crochet. So my creativity is still alive, just with a different medium.

I don’t listen to podcasts. But I recently watched a Google Plus hangoung put on by a yarn shop. Have you thought about moving your podcast into a telecast?

People are still trying to figure out how to make money with Google Plus hangouts, but they allow up to 10 people to participate in an hangout and unlimited numbers of people to watch it.

My husband is a Google Plus fanatic. (Ronnie Bincer is his name if you want to know anything and everything about doing a telecast).

Hope you get your mojo back and that you find something that inspires you and others.

8. Yoshie Chestand 29 October 2012 at 3:36 pm Permalink

I’m developing a blog site and I was thinking of altering the template.Yours looks pretty nice! You could visit my web site and tell me your viewpoint!